Hi again Sugar Bee readers! Shatzi from Love and Laundry here and I’m so excited to be back this month! My kids love snow globes! Okay, maybe love is stating it a little lightly. They are obsessed with them!! They’ve been begging me for months to make some for Christmas. I thought it would be a fun thing for them to make for their friends as gifts.
These are so fun and easy to make! Here’s what you need:
Baby food jars with the labels removed (WD-40 is amazing at removing label residue! Also, I pre-spray painted the lids for the kids)
Glycerin – you can get this at any pharmacy
Glitter and Confetti
First, glue the ornament onto the inside of the lid with hot glue. Definitely help your kids with that part if they are young. We don’t want anyone getting burned!
I had my kids hold the ornament in place for a few minutes until the glue was cooled off.
Next, fill up the jar half way full of glycerin – that’s the secret to getting the glitter to stay floating instead of falling straight to the bottom!
Then, add glitter and confetti. If you use confetti, just be sure it’s the metallic kind.
After adding the glitter and confetti, grab something to stir it all around really well. Otherwise, you might end up with glitter clumps.
Top the jar off with water. You want to fill it pretty full, but not so full that it over flows.
Before screwing the lid on, put some E6000 glue around the rim of the jar. That glue is amazing for stuff like this! I would recommend adult help with this part, too.
Finally, screw the lid on!
Leave the jar right side up until the glue dries. I would recommend waiting 24 hours at least. The glycerin and water will remain separated until you shake it for the first time. Then, it all gets mixed together really well!
Ta-da! All finished!
Thanks for having me, Mandy! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday!!!
- Kid Craft Contributor – Popsicle Stick Puzzles - July 5, 2013
- Melted Bead Keychains – Kid Craft Contributor - June 7, 2013
- Safety Pin & Bead Bracelet – Kid Craft Contributor - May 3, 2013
- Pinwheels – Kid Craft Contributor - April 5, 2013
- Homemade Moon Sand – Kid’s Craft Contriubtor - March 1, 2013
- Kid Craft Contributor: Handprint Valentine Cards - February 1, 2013
- Sock Snowman: Kid Craft Contributor - January 4, 2013
- Glitter Snow Globes – Kid Craft Contributor - December 14, 2012
- Indian Corn Napkin Rings – Kid Craft Contributor - November 2, 2012
- Furry Halloween Spider – Kid Craft Contributor - October 5, 2012